In May of 1984, VNHS was incorporated as a non-profit Society with Canada Revenue Agency charitable status.
In July and August of 1985, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, opened two buildings located at 1330 East 8th Avenue and 1333 East 7th Avenue under the Pre-86 Urban Native Housing Program.
In March and November of 1986, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, opened two buildings located at 1766 Frances Street and 1575 East 5th Avenue under the Pre-86 Urban Native Housing Program.
In June and November of 1987, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and BC Housing Management Commission, opened three buildings. The two CMHC buildings located at 1856 East Georgia Street and 860 East 7th Avenue called Wilp-lo-ama-gaut were funded under the Post-85 Urban Native Housing Program and the BCHMC building called Wilp-bilah (meaning House of Pearl) located at 1545 East Broadway Avenue was funded under the Non-profit Program.
In September of 1988, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation, opened a building under the Post 85 Urban Native Housing Program located at 1339 Graveley Street.
In February and December 1989, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation, opened two buildings under the Post 85 Urban Native Housing Program located at 1560 East 4th Avenue and 1823 East Pender Street.
In December 1994, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation, opened a building under the Post 85 Urban Native Housing Program located at 1725 East Pender Street.
In November 2000, VNHS opened Ian Lehman Place at 27 West Pender. This innovative structure designed by architect Joe Wai combines Vancouver Heritage style yellow brick with a number of unique elements in recognition of the First Nations residents and their Chinese neighbours.
In November 2001, VNHS in partnership with Greater Vancouver Housing Corporation (now Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation), opened a building located at 2626 Watson Street under the BC Housing LIUS Program (Low Income Urban Singles). In this management partnership, VNHS manages the building and its tenants for MVHC.
On May 15th, 2004 VNHS celebrated its 20th year of being incorporated as a Society.
VNHS applied for and received a $5.1 million housing grant under the Aboriginal Housing Initiative (AHI) for a health, healing, and housing complex to be built in partnership with the Vancouver Native Health Society and the Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation (the TRIO Project). The Society took over the management of the Franklin Women’s Residence in Vancouver’s Grandview Woodland neighbourhood. VNHS took on the management of the Orwell Hotel, a 55-unit single room accommodation (SRA) hotel under the Provincial Homelessness Initiative (PHI).
VNHS was awarded $3.5 million from the Federal Infrastructure Stimulus Fund to add the Vancouver Healing Lodge to the Pender Hotel project. The funding for this project ends a seven-year journey to create a culturally appropriate medical stay facility for Indigenous people travelling to Vancouver for medical treatment. In the fall of 2010, VNHS was the successful proponent to BC Housing to take on the management of the Pendera building at 133 East Pender, formerly operated by DERA Housing Society.
VNHS assumed the management and operations of the Pendera on June 1, 2011. VNHS broke ground for the Skwachàys Lodge and Residence at 31 West Pender.
On June 11th, the Skwachàys Lodge and Residence along with the Urban Aboriginal Free Trade Gallery was officially opened. The building provides 24 units of supportive housing for artists and 18 hotel rooms for both tourists and medical stay guests.
In early spring 2013, construction commenced at Broadway & Fraser for the latest project that includes a supportive housing partnership with Broadway Youth Resource Centre, a subsidiary of the Pacific Community Resources Society.