History of VNHS

1984

In May of 1984 VNHS was incorporated as a non-profit Society with Canada Revenue Agency charitable status.

1985

In July and August of 1985,VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation opened two buildings located at 1330 East 8th Avenue and 1333 East 7th Avenue under the Pre-86 Urban Native Housing Program.

1986

In March and November of 1986 VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation opened two buildings located at 1766 Frances Street and 1575 East 5th Avenue under the Pre-86 Urban Native Housing Program.

1987

In June and November of 1987, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and BC Housing Management Commission opened three buildings. The two CMHC buildings located at 1856 East Georgia Street and 860 East 7th Avenue called Wilp-lo-ama-gaut were funded under the Post-85 Urban Native Housing Program and the BCHMC building called Wilp-bilah (meaning House of Pearl) located at 1545 East Broadway Avenue was funded under the Non-profit Program.

1988

In September of 1988, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation opened a building under the Post 85 Urban Native Housing Program located at 1339 Graveley Street.

1989

In February and December of 1989, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation opened 2 buildings under the Post 85 Urban Native Housing Program located at 1560 East 4 th Avenue and 1823 East Pender Street.

1994

In December of 1994, VNHS in partnership with Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation opened a building under the Post 85 Urban Native Housing Program located at 1725 East Pender Street.

2000 In November 2000, VNHS opened Ian Lehman Place at 27 West Pender. This innovative structure designed by architect Joe Wai, combines Vancouver Heritage style yellow brick with a number of unique elements in recognition of  the First Nations residents and their Chinese neighbours.

2001

In November of 2001, VNHS in partnership with Greater Vancouver Housing Corporation (now Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation) opened a building located at 2626 Watson Street under the BC Housing LIUS Program (Low Income Urban Singles). In this management partnership  VNHS manages the building and its tenants for MVHC.

2004

On May 15th , 2004 VNHS celebrated its 20th year of being incorporated as a Society.

2007

VNHS applied for and received a $5.1 million housing grant under the Aboriginal Housing Initiative (AHI) for a health, healing, and housing complex to be built in partnership with the Vancouver Native Health Society and the Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation (the TRIO Project).

The Society took over the management of the Franklin Women’s Residence in Vancouver’s Grandview Woodland neighbourhood.

VNHS took on management of the Orwell Hotel, a 55-unit single room accommodation (SRA) hotel under the Provincial Homelessness Initiative (PHI)

 2008 VNHS submitted a successful proposal to develop a City-owned site at Fraser and Broadway in Vancouver, funded through the Provincial Homelessness Initiative. In partnership with the Pacific Community Resources Society VNHS will operate an innovative supportive housing development that will also provide youth-targeted housing and social services.

The Society was granted the old Pender Hotel at 31 West Pender Street, which became the site for the development of an Aboriginal artist live/work studio complex to include a large production space and a Fair Trade Gallery at street level.

2010

VNHS was awarded $3.5 million from the Federal Infrastructure Stimulus Fund to add the Vancouver Healing Lodge to the Pender Hotel project. The funding for this project ends a seven-year journey to create a culturally appropriate medical stay facility for Aboriginal people traveling to Vancouver for medical treatment.

In the fall of 2010 VNHS was the successful proponent to BC Housing to take on the management of the Pendera building at 133 East Pender, formerly operated by DERA Housing Society.

2011 VNHS assumed the management and operations of the Pendera on June 1, 2011.VNHS broke ground for the Skwachàys Lodge & Residence at 31 West Pender
2012 On June 11th, the Skwachays Lodge and Residence along with the Urban Aboriginal Free Trade Gallery was officially opened. The building provides 24 units of supportive housing for artists and 18 hotel rooms for both tourists and medical stay guests.

2013

In early spring, construction commenced at Broadway & Fraser for the latest project that includes a supportive housing partnership with Broadway Youth Resources Centre.